The High Altitude Expedition Preparation course is held both in the Pyrenees and the Sierra Nevada, Spain and lasts 5 days.
Spain is a perfect location for preparation courses for expeditions to polar regions or the greater ranges. Led by high altitude mountaineer, Sean James this course is 5 days long with 3 nights spent out in the mountains.
A week long course with 5 days practical, including 3 nights out in the mountains of the Sierra Nevada. Sean imparts his experiences of guiding over 14 – 8000m expeditions, including 4 times on Everest.
The course runs from December to April depending on the length of the season.
Whether you are a complete beginner or looking to climb your first 8000m or even 5000m trekking peak and want tips on training and high altitude techniques this course will provide you with ideal preparation for your own future expeditions and adventures.
In the evenings Sean will also be sharing his experiences from trips including Aconcagua, Elbrus, Kilimanjaro, Everest, Damavand, Ama Dablam, Broad Peak, Manaslu, Gasherbrum, Patagonia, New Zealand, the Yukon, Cho Oyu, Baruntse, Ojos del Salado….
Typical Course Content
- Planning for an Expedition
- Equipment and gear selection
- Which operator? Which mountain? Am I fit enough?
- Food and drink – choices and alternatives
- Snow wall construction. A much neglected and complex subject
- Snowholing and survival techniques
- Putting up a tent in a blizzard – vital to practice!
- Communications tricks and techniques with base. Rescue?
- Transportation with Sleds and Pulks
- The right mental approach!
- Snow and Ice Techniques
- Ice axe use and braking
- Correct use of crampons
- Roping up for glacier travel
- Crevasse rescue
- Snow belays
- Cooking and boiling water at altitude
- Ascending and descending fixed ropes
- Setting and moving up and down fixed ropes
- Self sufficiency and moving together on a rope
- Designing a personal training plan
- High altitude medicine & health
- The principles of acclimatisation – schedules and rotations
- Communication back home on different mountains
Guiding ratio for high mountain activities – no more than 4 to a guide.
Contact me to join an existing group or book your own bespoke dates.
According to your needs, Sean can focus on fitness, preparation for a particular peak or a general, fun introduction.